Easter Chocolate Meringue Nest
Recipe by TESCO Real Food
Makes 1 large nest
For the meringue
- 6 egg whites
- 180g golden caster sugar
- 165g icing sugar
- 1tbsp cocoa, sifted
For the top
- 100g milk chocolate
- 300ml double cream
- 200g fromage frais
- 1tbsp icing sugar, plus extra for dusting
- 175g mini chocolate eggs
- To make the meringue, preheat the oven to 120C/140 Fan/ Gas Mark 1.
- Line a large baking sheet with nonstick baking paper.
- Using an electric whisk, beat the egg whites, caster sugar and a pinch of salt in a clean, dry mixing bowl on high speed for 4 minutes, or until stiff peaks form.
- Add the icing sugar and gently whisk until incorporated. Increase the speed and whisk for 3 minutes, or until thick, stiff and glossy. Add the cocoa and whisk briefly to mix.
- Spoon the meringue into the centre of the paper, in a 'nest' shape with a deep hollow in the centre, ensuring that you keep the sides tall. Bake for 1 hour 30 minutes or until slightly cracked in places and firm to touch.
- Turn the oven off, pop the door slightly ajar and leave the meringue inside to cool.
- Meanwhile, in a mixing bowl, lightly whip the cream and fromage frais with the icing sugar to soft peaks. Spoon into the centre of the cooled meringue and top with mini eggs and chocolate curls. To serve, drizzle with melted chocolate.