- 100g egg white (I use two chicks pasteurised egg whites)
- 200g caster sugar
- food colouring
- large blue piping bags
- paint brushes
- baking tray
- silicone paper
- Always ensure the utensils are scrupulously clean and free from grease!!!
- Preheat the oven to 100C (90C fan)
- Whisk egg whites, slowly at first, then increase speed until you have stiff peaks. Be careful not to over whisk at this point.
- Add the caster sugar to the egg white peaks one table spoon at a time, mixing at full speed allowing about one minute of mixing time between each addition of sugar.
- Once you have added all the sugar, continue to whisk for up to about 10 minutes. It is ready when it forms smooth and shiny peaks.
- Using a large bottle as a stand, fold the piping bag inside out, allowing the tip of the bag to remain inside. Place this onto the bottle and paint different coloured stripes onto the bag.
- Put your hand into the bag. Using a spatula, put a spoonful of the meringue mixture onto your palm, then turn the bag inside out again. Fill the bag with the remaining meringue mixture.
- Push the mixture as far down the bag as you can and squeeze to remove air bubbles.
- Cut off the end of the bag, higher or lower depending how big you want your meringues to be.
- Squeeze the meringue mixture onto your tray (lined with silicone paper) to create meringues.
- Cook in the oven for about 30 minutes.