Lemon S'mores Meringue Pie
Recipe by Dan Doherty - MADE GLUTEN FREE
Makes 1 pie
- 250g plain gluten free flour (plus extra for dusting)
- 1/4tsp xanthan gum
- 85g icing sugar
- 1/2 vanilla pod (with seeds scraped out - to be used)
- 125g butter
- 1 egg (for the pastry)
- 4 eggs (for the curd)
- 350g sugar
- 4 lemons (zest and juice)
- 225g butter (cut into small cubes)
- handful of small marshmallow pieces
- 300g caster sugar (for the meringue)
- 120g egg whites (for the meringue)
- Sift together the flour, xanthan gum and icing sugar.
- Add the vanilla seed, then rub in the butter until it becomes crumbs.
- Then stir in the egg to make the dough.
- Cover with clingfilm and leave to rest in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Heat the oven to 200C (gas 6, 180C fan)
- Grease the pie tin.
- Flour the surface and roll out the pastry to approximately 2mm thick and carefully line the tin. Put in the fridge to firm up.
- Take out of the fridge and line with baking paper and baking beans.
- Blind bake for 10-12mins and then remove the paper and beans and bake for another 5 mins.
- Leave to cool.
- Mix the eggs, sugar, lemon zest and juice in a glass bowl and sit over a pan of simmering water. Whisk continuously until the mixture thickens (should take about 8-10minutes).
- Once it has thickened, beat in a few cubes of butter at a time until the curd is smooth.
- Allow to cool.
- Spread the marshmallows on a tray and place under a hot grill until they brown.
- Scrape them off the tray and add to the curd mixture. Stir until combined.
- Cover and allow to chill in the fridge.
*To make italian meringues (you will need a sugar thermometer)
- Put the sugar in a pan and pour 200ml water over.
- Heat until the sugar has dissolved, then boil until the temperature reaches 116C on a sugar thermometer.
- Whisk the egg whites in a bowl at a slow speed, then increase to the form soft peaks.
- Once the sugar has reached 121C pour slowly into the egg whites then whisk at high speed.
- Keep whisking until the meringue cools to room temp.
- Put into a piping bag.
- Spoon the curd and marshmallow into the tart cases.
- Pipe the Italian meringue over the curd mixture.
- Use a blow torch or a hot grill to brown the meringue.