Pumpkin Meringue Pie
Makes 1 Pie
- 200g plain gluten free flour, plus extra for dusting
- 1/2tsp gluten free baking powder
- 1/2tsp xanthan gum
- pinch salt
- 120g butter, chilled + cubed
- 1 large eggs, beaten
- 3-4tbsp ice cold water
- 1 small pumpkin
- 40g light brown sugar
- 1tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼tsp ground nutmeg
- ¼tsp ground cloves
- ¼tsp salt
- 3 eggs
- 280ml double cream
- 160ml egg whites
- ¼tsp cream of tartar
- 250g light brown sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180C/Gas Mark 4.
- To make the pastry, put the flour, baking powder, gum and salt in a food processor, mix. Then add butter and pulse until it looks like breadcrumbs. Alternatively rub butter into dry ingredients until it looks like breadcrumbs.
- Roll out on a lightly floured surface. Line a greased medium sized tart case with the pastry and baked blind using greaseproof paper and baking beans for 15-18 minutes. Discard paper and beans and allow tart case to brown for 3-5minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Slice the pumpkin into small chunks. Then place into a saucepan of boiling water and cook until soft. Blend into a puree using a hand blender.
- Mix in the brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt and cloves. Then add the eggs, one at a time, blending after each addition. Add the cream in slowly. Mix until fully blended.
- Pour the mixture into the crust and bake until the filing has set - approx. 1 hour. Leave to cool completely on a cooling rack.
- To make the meringue, heat the sugar in the oven for about 10 minutes. Meanwhile, mix the egg whites until they form stiff peaks.
- Continue mixing, and add a tbsp of sugar every 30 seconds. Once all the sugar has been added, continue mixing for a further 5 minutes.
- Pour the meringue mixture over the pie and brown using a blow torch.