Eton Mess And Lemon Curd Meringue Cupcakes
Eton Mess Cupcakes
- 50g gluten free self raising flour
- 1/2tsp xanthan gum
- 50g caster sugar
- 50g unsalted butter
- 1 egg, medium
- whipping cream
- 50g strawberries/raspberries
- meringue pieces (broken)
- Preheat oven 180c, gas mark 4.
- Sieve gluten free self raising flour and xanthan gum in a bowl, add caster sugar, butter and egg and whisk until smooth and creamy.
- Spoon into cupcake cases and bake for 10-15mins.
- When cooked decorate with whipped cream and chopped strawberries/raspberries and meringues.
Dan Doherty Lemon Curd
- 2 lemons, rind and zest
- 125g caster sugar
- 125g unsalted butter, melted
- 4 large eggs, beaten
- I use a slow cooker but you can use a heatproof basin set over a pan of simmering water.
- Place all of the ingredients into a basin or dish that will fit into your slow cooker, cover with foil and put into cooker.
- Pour boiling water into the slow cooker so that it comes about half way up the sides of the basin, then cover with the lid.
- Cook for about 1 1/2 hours until thick, stir well and put into warm jars.
- Keep refrigerated.
Lemon Meringue Cupcakes
- 100g unsalted butter
- 100g caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 150g gluten free plain flour
- 1/4tsp xanthan gum
- 1/4tsp baking powder
- 1//4tsp salt
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 1/2tsp sicilian lemon extract
- icing/150ml double cream
- 150g lemon curd (I always use Dan Doherty's recipe)
- Preheat oven to 180C, gas mark 4.
- Whisk the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs and beat well. Sift in the flour, gum, baking powder and salt. Add lemon zest, juiced lemon and extract and fold in.
- Spoon into cases. Bake for 16-18mins.
- Whisk cream. Spread onto cooled cupcake. Top with lemon curd and then mini meringues.