Salted Caramel Millionaire Shortbread
Recipe by Jamie Oliver - MADE GLUTEN FREE
- 175g unsalted butter
- 150g white rice flour
- 50g cornflour
- 100g plain gluten free flour
- 1/4tsp baking powder
- 1/4tsp xanthan gum
- 50g caster sugar
- 250g soft light brown sugar
- 250g unsalted butter
- 100ml gluten free beer or lager
- 300ml creme fraiche
- 300ml dark chocolate
- 25g unsalted butter
- sea salt, as decorative flavour
- Grease a baking tray (approx 20cm x 30cm)
- Mix the flours, baking powder, xanthan gum and sugar by hand.
- Then rub in butter until you have fine crumbs. Add in a little water to bring the mixture to a dough. Then push into prepared tray. Prick with a fork then bake for 20 mins.
- Leave to cool in the tray, should still be very pale.
- To make the caramel, place the sugar, butter, beer and 150ml of water in a pan on a medium heat. Bring to the boil and reduce by about half, stir occasionally for approximately 20 mins.
- Whisk in the creme fraiche, reduce heat to low and leave to bubble gently for approximately 30 minutes, whisking occasionally.
- When it's fudge like, pour over the shortbread and spread.
- Allow to chill in the fridge for about 2 hours.
- Melt the chocolate in a bowl over a pan of water, add the butter and leave to melt. Stir occasionally.
- Let it cool for a few minutes and then pour over the caramel.
- Sprinkle with sea salt and leave to set.
* If the mixture starts to split, take off the heat and whisk briskly until it becomes a silky smooth toffee like consistency.