Red Velvet Cake
Recipe by Hummingbird Bakery - MADE GLUTEN FREE
Makes 1 Cake
- 120g unsalted butter (at room temperature)
- 300g caster sugar
- 2 eggs (large)
- 20g cocoa powder
- 4tbsp of red food colouring (I use "sugar flair" colour which is a jelly like colouring)
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- 240ml buttermilk
- 250g plain gluten free flour (I use Doves Farm)
- 50g rice flour
- 1tsp salt
- 1tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 3tsp white wine vinegar
- cream cheese frosting, to put in centre of cake
- desiccated coconut, i dyed mine red using food colouring
- Preheat the oven to 170C.
- Put the butter and sugar in a bowl and beat with electric whisk until light and fluffy.
- Slowly add the egg and beat until well mixed.
- Sieve the cocoa powder into the flours in a separate bowl and put to one side.
- With the mixer on slow, add half the buttermilk and once mixed add half of the flours and cocoa powder. Once this is fully incorporated repeat the process with the remaining buttermilk and remaining flour.
- Turn the mixer to high speed until you have a smooth consistency.
- Add the colouring and vanilla essence to the mixture followed by the salt, bicarbonate of soda and vinegar, beat until all combined.
- Spread the mixture into two greased and lined cake tins and bake for about 40-45 mins or until a skewer comes out clean when inserted into the middle of the sponge.
- Allow to cool slightly in the tin and then turn onto a wired rack to cool completely.
* depending on the brand of food colouring the desired colour may take more or less than I have used, so add a little at a time.