Chocolate And Caramel Tart With Pecan Nuts
- 150g plain gluten free flour
- 40g cocoa, stuffed
- 25g icing sugar
- 120g unsalted butter
- a pinch of sea salt
- 1 egg yolk
- 300g caster sugar
- 60ml honey
- 300ml double cream
- 45g butter
- 100g caster sugar
- 1/2tbsp glucose syrup
+ pecan nuts, to decorate
- To make the pastry, mix the flour, cocoa and icing sugar in a bowl. Rub in the butter with your fingers until it resembles fine breadcrumbs and stir in a pinch of salt.
- Stir in the egg yolk and 45ml water. Bring together to a dough, adding more flour if necessary. Leave to rest in the fridge for 30 minutes. (I always wrap in cling film).
- Preheat the oven to 190C.
- Line a medium sized tart tin with the pastry, ensuring that you pressing into the sides. Line with baking paper and fill with baking beads or rice. Place on a baking tray and rest in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Once cooled, put in the oven for 15 minutes. Remove the baking paper and beads or rice then return to the oven for another 5 minutes, or until the base has cooked through. Put to one side.
- To make the filling, place the sugar and honey into a pan. Using a medium heat, slowly melt the sugar. Mix together until a caramel forms. Remove from the heat, whisk in the cream and butter. Place back on the heat and whisk until the caramel turns golden brown. Remove and pour into the tart case, then put to one side.
- Decorate with pecan nuts.
- To decorate with spun sugar, heat the sugar, glucose syrup and 50ml water in a pan, over a medium heat. Allow the sugar to melt, make sure you stir lots. Heat for 8-10minutes.
- Prepare a baking sheet, covered with parchment paper. Then pour the melted sugar in thin stripes over a rolling pin, or similar shaped object. Then leave to set.
- Use these to decorate the top of the tart. Serve with crème fraîche.