Chocolate And Banana Bundt With Caramel Frosting
- 200g unsalted butter, room temperature + extra to grease
- 50g cocoa powder + extra for dusting
- 4 medium bananas, ripe
- 3tbsp soured cream
- 2tsp vanilla extract
- 75g caster sugar
- 100g light brown muscovado sugar
- 4 large eggs, beaten
- 225g plain gluten free flour
- 50g cornflour
- 1/4tsp xanthan gum
- 2tsp baking powder
- 1tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 75g dark chocolate, finely chopped + extra to decorate
- 200g light brown muscovado sugar
- 75g unsalted butter
- 100ml double cream
- 25g dark chocolate, chopped
- 1/2tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 190C/gas mark 5.
- Melt 2 teaspoons of butter and grease the inside of a medium bundt tin. Dust with cocoa powder, ensuring that you cover every surface, then hold the tin upside down and tap to get rid of the excess.
- Mash the bananas with a fork until smooth, mix in the soured cream and vanilla extract and then put to one side.
- Pour the caster and muscovado sugars and 200g butter into a bowl and beat well until pale and light, this should take approximately 3-4 minutes. Gradually add the egg.
- Then add the banana mixture, flour, cornflour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, 50g cocoa and a pinch of salt, mixing to ensure everything is completely combined.
- Fold the chopped chocolate into the mixture, then spoon into the tin and smooth using a spatula.
- Bake on the middle shelf of the oven for 30-40minutes, until well risen and a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Leave to cool in the tin for 2-3 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack and leave to cool completely.
- For the icing, heat the sugar, butter and cream in a small saucepan until the sugar has dissolved. Bring to the boil and simmer for 30 seconds. Remove from the heat, add the chocolate, vanilla and a large pinch of salt and stir until silky smooth; leave to cool for 5-10minutes.
- Carefully spoon the icing over the cooled cake, allowing it to drip down the sides.
- Leave to set before decorating.