Honeycomb Topped, Boozy Caramel Millionaire Shortbread
- 115g butter, softened
- 60g caster sugar
- 85g gluten free self raising flour, sifted
- 1tsp baking powder
- 1/8tsp xanthan gum
- 85g ground almonds
- 250g soft light brown sugar
- 250g unsalted butter
- 100ml gluten free beer, I use Celia lager
- 300ml creme fraiche
Chocolate & Honeycomb Topping
- 250g chocolate (I tend to use a mixture of dark and milk)
- 25g unsalted butter
- Mighty Fine honeycomb topping
To Make The Shortbread Base
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas Mark 4.
- Cream the butter and sugar in a mixing bowl. Add the sifted flour and almonds and bring the mixture together, using your hands until it resembles a soft dough.
- Make into a ball and then gently press into a prepared tin.
- Pierce in several places using a fork.
- Cover with baking parchment and baking beans and bake for 15-20 minutes, or until the shortbread is golden brown.
- Allow to cool in the thin.
For The Caramel
- Place the brown sugar, butter, beer and 150ml of water in a pan and turn to a medium heat.
- Bring to the boil, then simmer and allow to reduce by about half. Stir occasionally. (This can take up to 30 minutes)
- Once reduced, whisk in the creme fraiche and turn down the heat to low. Leave to gently bubble, whisking frequently for about 20-25 minutes, or until it's thick.
For The Topping
- Pour the caramel over the cooled shortbread and allow to chilli in the fridge for a couple of hours.
- Meanwhile, melt the chocolate in a heatproof bowl over a pan of simmering water, add the butter and leave to melt. Once melted allow to cool for a few minutes.
- Once the caramel has chilled, pour over the melted chocolate and butter mix and allow to cool in the fridge for about 30 minutes.
- Then crumble Mighty Fine chocolate honeycomb over the top and leave to set.