- 150g egg whites (about 5 medium eggs)
- 300g caster sugar
- 1tsp cornflour
- 1tsp vanilla essence (or 1/2 a vanilla pod)
- 1tsp white wine vinegar
- 300ml double cream
- selection of summer fruits
- icing sugar, to dust
- Heat the oven to 130C/Gas Mark 2.
- Line a tray with baking parchment.
- Make sure your mixing bowl and utensils are scrupulously clean and free from grease. I use lemon juice to clean mine prior to using.
- Whisk the egg whites with a mixer until they form stiff peaks, then slowly whisk in the sugar, one tablespoon at a time until the meringue mixture looks shiny.
- Slowly whisk in the vinegar, cornflour and vanilla.
- Spread the mixture into a circle (about the size of a medium plate) making a dip in the middle.
- Bake for 1 hour, then turn off the heat and let the pavlova remain in the oven until completely cool.
- Whip the double cream until stuff and place onto cold meringue.
- Add the fruit and dust with icing sugar.