Apple and Blackberry Tart
Makes 1 Tart
- 200g plain gluten free flour, plus extra for dusting
- 1/2tsp gluten free baking powder
- 1/2tsp xanthan gum
- pinch salt
- 120g butter, chilled + cubed
- 1 large eggs, beaten
- 3-4tbsp ice cold water
- 5 x golden delicious apples
- 2 x baking apples
- 100g blackberries
- 200g unsalted butter
- apricot jam, to glaze
- Preheat the oven to 180C/Gas Mark 4.
- To make the pastry, put the flour, baking powder, gum and salt in a food processor, mix. Then add butter and pulse until it looks like breadcrumbs. Alternatively rub butter into dry ingredients until it looks like breadcrumbs.
- Roll out on a lightly floured surface. Line a greased medium sized tart case with the pastry and baked blind using greaseproof paper and baking beans for 15-18 minutes. Discard paper and beans and allow tart case to brown for 3-5minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Peel, core and chop baking apples and put in a pan with the blackberries and 50ml of water. Set on a low heat, until apples can be pulped with a potato masher. Mash to a smoothish consistency and allow to cool.
- Peel and core golden delicious, cut into quarters and then cut each quarter into 4 slices.
- Melt 50g of butter in a shallow pan, add about a quarter of the apple slices and about 50ml of water. Cook gently for about 3-5minutes until apples begin to look translucent. Remove from the pan and allow to cool. Repeat with the remainder of the apples, butter and water.
- To assemble the tart, spoon in the apple and blackberry mixture and smooth over the base.
- Starting at the outside of the tart case, position the apples one slightly over the other going round in a circle until you get to the middle.
- Once the circle is complete, melt a small amount of apricot jam and brush over the apples to act as a glaze.
- Turn oven temp up to 225C.
- Return apple filled tart to the oven to brown the apples, may take up to 10 minutes. Watch carefully as you do not want to burn the apples or pastry.
- Can be served hot or cold.