Apple, Courgette And Blue Cheese Tart
- 100g brown rice flour
- 120g plain gluten free flour
- 1/2tsp baking powder
- 1/4tsp xanthan gum
- pinch of salt
- 120g unsalted butter (cubed and chilled)
- 1 x large egg, beaten
- 3-4tbsp ice cold water
- 2 x red apples
- 2 x courgettes
- 2 x large eggs, beaten
- 110g blue cheese (I prefer Saint Agur, as its soft and creamy)
- 60g crushed walnuts
- handful of fresh thyme
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
- For the pastry, mix the flours, baking powder, xanthan gum and salt in a food processor. Then add the butter until the mixture looks like breadcrumbs.
- Add the beaten egg and half of the water, mix in the processor until a dough comes together. You can add more water, a tsp at a time if dough is too dry.
- Turn out the pastry onto a lightly floured board, knead gently and shape into a round. Cover and chill for about 15 mins.
- Roll out the pastry on a floured board and place into a greased tart tin, I used a 7 inch round tart tin (but could use tartlet tins to make individuals, although you would need to adjust cooking times). As the pastry is gluten free, it will be a bit dry and therefore might crack so just press into the tin.
- Make fork holes in the base of the pastry and blind bake for 10minutes.
- Meanwhile, finely slice the apples and courgettes, unpeeled.
- Arrange apples and courgettes on the pastry. Pour over beaten egg. Crumble blue cheese and walnuts over the top and then sprinkle the leaves of fresh thyme.
- Bake in the oven for about 25-30mins.
- Can be served straight from the oven or cooled.