Crab and Dill Tart
Makes 1 Tart
- 180g plain gluten free flour, plus extra for dusting
- 1/2tsp salt
- 1/4tsp xanthan gum
- 1/4tsp baking powder
- 110g butter or lard or mixture of both
- 3-4tbsp of ice cold water
- optional dried herbs (2tsp)
- 12oz white crab meat
- 2tbsp dill, finely chopped
- 2 large eggs, plus 2 egg yolks
- 3tbsp full fat milk
- Preheat the oven to 200C/Gas Mark 6.
- Combine the flour, salt, xanthan gum, baking powder and butter in a food processor until it looks like rough breadcrumbs. Add dried herbs if desired.
- Add the cold water, one tablespoon at a time and pulse in the food processor between each spoonful until a rough dough comes together. Turn the dough onto a floured surface. Knead lightly then wrap in clingfilm and chill for 1 hour.
- Line a greased pastry tin with the pastry, prick with the base then, cover with greaseproof, pour in baking beans and bake blind for 15 minutes. Take off greaseproof and beans and cook for 5 minutes.
- For the filling, beat the eggs and egg yolks. Add the milk and most of the dill.
- Pour the egg mixture into the pastry case and add the crab.
- Sprinkle with the remaining dill and bake for 30-35minutes or until the pastry is golden.