My First Ever Gnocchi
- 1kg floury potatoes (I used Maris Piper)
- 1/4tsp xanthan gum
- 1tsp salt
- 250g plain gluten free flour
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- lemon thyme (3-4tbsp, leaves only)
- parmesan, shaved
- black pepper, to taste
- For the gnocchi, cook the potatoes whole and unpeeled in a large pan of boiling salted water for 25-30minutes. Drain and leave to cool. Once cool enough, peel and mash.
- Put mashed potato in a bowl and sprinkle over with xanthan gum, salt and flour. Add the beaten egg and work into a smooth dough with your hands.
- Divide the mixture into three. Take one third of the mixture and on a lightly floured surface, roll into a sausage shape, about as thick as your first finger. Cut into 2.5cm (1inch) pieces. Repeat with the next two thirds of mixture.
- Once all the gnocchi is made, cover loosely and leave to rest on the floured surface.
- To serve, boil a large pan of salted water. Working in batches of two or three add the gnocchi for 3-4 minutes until they float to the surface. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen paper.
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan over a moderate heat. Add the cooked gnocchi until lightly golden, toss in the thyme and season with salt and pepper.
- To serve, top with shavings of parmesan.