- 450g gluten free self-raising flour, plus extra for dusting
- 1tbsp baking powder
- 2tsp xanthan gum
- 85g golden caster sugar, plus extra for sprinkling
- 100g butter, diced
- 280ml buttermilk
- 100ml milk, plus extra for brushing
- clotted cream and jam, to serve
- Preheat the oven to 430°F (220°C/200°C fan/gas mark 7).
- Pour the flour into a large bowl, and stir in baking powder, xanthan gum, sugar and 1/2 tsp salt.
- Rub the butter into the flour mixture with your hands until it is completely combined.
- In a separate bowl, mix the buttermilk and milk together, then add to the flour mixture. Stir together until it forms a soft dough.
- Place dough onto a lightly floured work surface and pat out with your hands until about 4cm thick. DO NOT knead the mixture as this will make a heavy scone.
- If the mixture seems a little too moist, leave to sit for a few minutes.
- Using a floured cutter, cut out rounds. Then place on a baking tray, spaced apart.
- Brush the tops with milk, sprinkle with sugar and bake for 10-12 minutes until golden.
- Serve with clotted cream and jam.