Makes 1 Cake
- 300g plain gluten free flour
- 1tsp baking powder
- 1tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1/4tsp of xanthan gum
- 1tsp ground cinnamon, plus extra to decorate
- 1/2tsp ground ginger
- 1/2tsp salt
- 1/4tsp vanilla extract
- 300g soft light brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 300ml sunflower oil
- 300g carrots, grated
- 100g shelled walnuts, chopped
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 600g icing sugar, sifted
- 100g unsalted butter
- 250g cream cheese
- Preheat the oven to 170C.
- Line three medium sized tins with greaseproof paper.
- In a bowl, mix together the sugar, eggs and oil until well incorporated. Slowly add in the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, cinnamon, ginger, salt and vanilla extract.
- Mix in the walnuts and grated carrot. Stir these in with a spoon, not an electric mixer.
- Pour the mixture into the cake tins, making sure you spread evenly into all edges. Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.
- For the cream cheese frosting, mix together the icing sugar and butter in a bowl. Add the cream cheese and mix until well incorporated. Mix for another 5 minutes. (Be careful as it is possibly to over mix, which will cause it to be runny).
- Once the cakes have cooled, spread the cream cheese frosting over the first one. Repeat the same process with the second and third cakes. Spread the remaining frosting over the entire cake.
- Decorate with walnuts and a dusting of ground cinnamon.