Sausage and Pistachio Plait
Makes 1 Sausage Plait
- ready made puff pastry (Fria Gluten Free - Ocado)
- gluten free flour for rolling/dusting
This pastry is simple to use and performs well as long as you don't overwork it.
- 200g gluten free sausage meat (I used the meat from gluten free sausages)
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 50g pistachio nuts, shelled and chopped
- 1/2tsp cinnamon
- 1/2tsp cumin (I used seeds but powder is fine)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- olive oil
- 1 egg, beaten (To brush over the pastry)
- sesame seeds
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Heat the oil in a pan. Add the chopped onion and lightly fry until it starts caramelise. Allow to cool and then mix in all the other filling ingredients. Leave to cool.
- Roll out the pastry into a rectangle.
- Place the sausage meat down the centre of the pastry,
- Cut both sides of the pastry in diagonal lines away from the centre. Fold in the ends and then fold the side pieces alternately (one left, then one right). Whenever the pastry meets, always brushed with beaten egg to help stick.
- Brush entire plait with egg.
- Sprinkle sesame seeds over the plait.
- Cook in the oven for about 30 minutes or until seeds turn golden brown.