The Scotch Bhaji
Recipe by Dan Doherty - MADE GLUTEN FREE
- 250g sausage meat
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 small red chilli, finely chopped
- 10g onion powder
- a small handful of finely chopped fresh coriander
- 10g ginger, finely grated
- 6 eggs, plus 1 egg yolk
- 60g chickpea flour
- 60g plain gluten free flour, plus extra for dusting sausage meat
- 20g rice flour
- 1/4tsp xanthan gum
- 1tsp garam masala
- 1tsp garlic powder
- 1/4tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2tsp ground turmeric
- 1/2tsp ground cumin
- 1/2tsp ground ginger
- 2 onions, finely sliced
- a pinch of salt
- Bring a pan of water to the boil with a pinch of salt. Boil the eggs for 5 minutes. When cooked remove from pan and refresh in iced water. When cool, remove the shell and set aside.
- Mix together all the ingredients for the scotch egg in a bowl and refrigerate.
- Mix together all the ingredients for the bhaji, then stir in a little bit of cold water, but just enough to create a smooth, thick batter.
- Preheat the deep fat fryer (160C/325F)
- Take a ball of the scotch egg (sausage meat) mix, about an egg size and flatten out. Carefully wrap around one of the soft boiled eggs, ensuring the whole thing is covered. Repeat with other eggs.
- Roll scotch egg in flour. Brush off excess. Layer the scotch egg in the bhaji mix, again ensuring the whole thing is covered and using your hands carefully place into the fryer.
- Fry each egg for 11 minutes, then lift onto a plate lined with kitchen roll, to drain excess oil.