Simple Sponge Cake
- 250g margarine (makes a lighter cake, but can use unsalted butter) at room temp
- 250g caster sugar
- 4 eggs
- 3 drops of vanilla essence
- 250g gluten free self raising flour
- 1/4tsp xanthan gum
- 1 1/2tsp gluten free baking powder
- 4tbsp milk
- Preheat the oven to 180C/Gas Mark 4.
- Line and grease two 6inch round cake tins.
- Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Slowly add the eggs and vanilla and beat well.
- Fold in the flour and the baking powder, making sure it is all combined.
- Add the milk (the mixture may be a bit sloppy, but do not add more flour).
- Divide the mixture between the two cake tins and ensure the surface is even and flat.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until the cake feels firm. Test with a skewer to ensure the centre of the cake is cooked.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool completely on a cooling rack.
*Cover the cake in a butter icing of your choice and drizzle with chocolate ganache.