Mickey and Minnie Mouse Cupcakes
Recipe by The Hummingbird Bakery
- 60g unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 150g caster sugar
- 1 egg
- 20g cocoa powder
- 40ml red food colouring
- 1/2tsp vanilla extract
- 120ml buttermilk
- 150g gluten free plain flour
- 1/2tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 1/2tsp white vinegar
- 1 x 12-hole cupcake tray, lined with paper cases
- 300g icing sugar, sifted
- 20g unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 125g cream cheese, cold
- gluten free oreos, I got mine from Trader Joe's, America.
- Preheat the oven to 170C/gas mark 3.
- Mix together the butter and sugar using an electric mixer, on a medium speed until light and fluffy. Turn the mixer up to high speed, slowly add the egg and mix until completely combined.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the cocoa powder, red food colouring and vanilla extract to make a very thick, dark paste. Mix this paste into the butter mixture until evenly combined. Then mix in the buttermilk.
- Add half of the flour and mix thoroughly. Repeat this process until all the flour and buttermilk have been added. Turn the mixer up to high speed and mix until smooth. Add in bicarbonate of soda and vinegar. Beat until well mixed.
- Meanwhile, make the frosting by beating the icing sugar and remaining 20g of unsalted butter together on a medium-slow speed. Add in the cream cheese and mix until light and fluffy. If it becomes runny, you have over mixed.
- Spoon the mixture into the cake cases until two-thirds full and bake for 25 minutes or until the sponge bounces back when touched. Leave the cupcakes to cool completely on a wire rack.
- Once cold, add the cream cheese frosting to the cupcakes along with the oreo ears. (and an icing bow for Minnie).