St Clement's Curd Mini Pavlovas
Recipe inspired by Dan Doherty
- 1 medium orange - rind + zest
- 1 lemon - rind + zest
- 125g caster sugar
- 125g unsalted butter, melted
- 4 large eggs, beaten
- 100g egg whites (I used two chicks, pasteurised egg white, sold in most supermarkets)
- 200g caster sugar
- 2/3 drops orange blossom water
- I use a slow cooker but can use a heatproof basin set over a pan of simmering water.
- Place all of the ingredients into a basin or dish that will fit into your slow cooker, cover with foil and put into cooker.
- Pour boiling water into the slow cooker, so that it comes about half way up the sides of the basin, then cover with the lid.
- Cook for about 1 1/2 hours until thick. Stir well and put into warm jars.
- Make sure all dishes and utensils you are using are scrupulously cleaned to remove all grease.
- Whisk egg whites until they form stiff peaks. Be careful to stop mixture before it turns to cotton wool.
- Add the sugar to the egg whites. a tablespoon at a time but whisking on a high all the time. Once you have added all the sugar, continue to whisk on a high speed for another 8-10 minutes.
- Check to make sure all sugar has been dissolved. Add drops of orange blossom.
- The mixture is ready when it forms a smooth, shiny peaks.
- Pipe into your decide shape on a baking tray lined with baking paper.
- Small meringues should be baked for 30-40 minutes, larger up to 2 hours.