Churros And Hot Chocolate
Recipe by Gordon Ramsay - MADE GLUTEN FREE
Makes 10 Churros
- 250g plain gluten free flour
- 1/4tsp xanthan gum
- pinch of salt
- 50g unsalted butter
- 200ml water
- 150g dark chocolate, plus extra for grating
- 300ml double cream
- 1 x vanilla pod, split
- 2inch stick of cinnamon
- 1/4 red chilli, finely chopped - this is optional if you want to spice it up a little
- 1 x orange, 3-4 piece of peel only
Sugar and Cinnamon Coating
- 50g caster sugar
- 3tsp ground cinnamon
- 300ml oil for deep frying
- Place the flour, xanthan gum and salt in a mixing bowl.
- Melt butter and add to water and bring to the boil.
- Immediately pour this into the flour mixture and mix using an electric whisk until a smooth paste.
- The mixture should slowly drop off the whisk, if the mixture is too dry, add up to 5tbsp of warm water to loosen the mix.
- Spoon the mix into a piping bag and chill in the fridge for 30 mins.
- In the mean time, break the chocolate into a heat proof bowl.
- Heat the double cream in a pan with the vanilla pod, cinnamon stick, orange peel and chilli (if using) and bring to the boil.
- Strain the peel (and chillI) from the cream and pour onto the broken pieces of chocolate. Stir until the hot chocolate has melted.
- Mix caster sugar and cinnamon on a plate ready to roll the churros once cooked.
- Pre heat the deep fat fryer to 180C (or a heavy bottomed frying pan).
- Pipe the lengths of the churro mix (approx. 3-4inches) directly into the hot oil, and fry for about 4 minutes until golden brown and cooked through.
- Remove crispy churros and drain off any excess oil on kitchen roll.
- Place onto the sugar and cinnamon plate and coat the churros.
- Serve with hot chocolate.
* An alternative to the hot chocolate recipe here is to just simply melt some good quality cooking chocolate and serve warm.
* You can also pipe the churros onto baking paper and cook in the oven at 200C for approx 15 minutes.