Simple Seeded Loaf
Recipe from Bread Ahead, Borough Market
Makes 1 Loaf
- 150ml water, heated to 40-44C
- 125g teff flour
- 25g ground almonds
- 50g plain gluten free flour
- ½tsp xanthan gum
- 15g chia seeds
- 1tsp fine sea salt
- 1tsp quick acting yeast
- 2tbsp olive oil
- 1tbsp honey
- seeds (sesame, sunflower, poppy, pumpkin, etc)
- Preheat the oven to 200C/fan 180C/gas mark 6.
- Measure the water and ensure it's at the correct temperature.
- Grease 6½" x 4¼"tin with olive oil and sprinkle with seed son the base on the base and the sides.
- In a large bowl, combine the teff flour, ground almonds, plain flour, chia seeds, salt and yeast and mix.
- Make a well in the centre of the dry mixture and add the olive oil, honey and a third of the water. Mix together then add another third of the water, mixing well. Add the last third of the water and mix to combine. The dough will be quite wet, and more like a very thick batter than a dough. It should reluctantly drop from the spatula.
- Pour this into the tin. Sprinkle with seeds. Cover the tin loosely with cling film and place somewhere warm and draft free. Leave to prove for about 35 minutes. The loaf should rise to just below the rim of the tin. If it hasn't risen enough leave it for another 10 minutes.
- Place your bread in the oven and spritz all around the oven chamber with a water spray.
- Bake for 30-35minutes. Don't open the door during baking as this may cause the loaf to collapse.
- One baked, remove from the tin and leave to cool on a wire rack.