Makes 4 Apples
- 175g light brown soft sugar
- 100g golden syrup
- 1tsp white wine vinegar
- 15g butter
- 4/5tsp black food colouring
- 4 apples
- In a saucepan, (on a low heat) mix the sugar, golden syrup, vinegar and 2tbsp of water. Stir until the sugar has dissolved - this may take up to 10 minutes.
- Increase the heat and boil for 5-6 minutes.
- To test if the syrup is ready, get a bowl of ice cold water and drop the syrup into it. If it turns solid immediately then it is ready. If not, keep boiling.
- Once the syrup is ready, mix in the black food colouring.
- Place a skewer or a fork into each apple and dip them in the syrup, ensuring they are completely covered. Allow excess to drip off and then set them, skewer/fork up on a plate.
- Leave to set.