Orange and Raspberry Polenta Cake
Makes 1 Cake
- 45g unsalted butter
- 140g light brown sugar
- 16ml lemon juice
- 3 medium oranges
- 200g unsalted butter
- 3 eggs
- 16ml vanilla extract
- 200g ground almonds
- 100g polenta
- 1 zest of orange
- 1tsp orange blossom water
- 70g crème fraiche
- 1/2tsp baking powder
- Preheat the oven to 160C/Gas Mark 3.
- Grease a medium sized cake tin. Line the bottom and sides with greaseproof paper and then grease again over the top.
- In a saucepan, melt 45g butter. Add the brown sugar and lemon juice and stir until the butter has melted and everything is combined. Pour syrup into the cake tin.
- Grate the zest of one orange and set aside. Cut off the top and bottom of the orange and remove the rind and pith. Then cut the orange into 0.5mm (round) slices. Place the slices on top of the brown sugar in a single, tight layer.
- Mix the butter and sugar together in a bowl, until light and creamy. Add in the eggs, mixing after each one. Then mix in the vanilla extract.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the ground almonds, polenta, orange zest, orange blossom water and baking powder. Once completely incorporated, combine this with the cake mix.
- Pour the mixture over the syrup and orange slices ensuring that it reaches all of the edges and bake for 40-50 minutes, until the sides of the cake come away from the tin.
- Leave to cool for approx. 10 minutes.
- Serve with crème fraiche and grated orange zest.